How to Change Employers on an Employer Sponsored Visa in Australia?

It is quite common for visa holders on a Temporary Employer Sponsored Visa (Subclass 482) and Skilled Employer Sponsored Regional Visa (Subclass 494) to want to change employers.

Perhaps they find a better paying position at another company, or working for the employer is not working out for them. Or perhaps their employers close for business. All of these scenarios would result in you needing to change employers as you cannot be on an employer sponsored visa and not working.

However, when you are on an Australian business investment immigration visa, your visa is tied to the employer who sponsored your visa. You can only legally work for that one employer.

work sponsorship visa australia

Fortunately, it is possible to change employers. In order to change employers but still work in the same occupation, you do not need to lodge a completely new visa application. However, under most circumstances, you will need to lodge a new nomination. And you can only switch to another employer that is an approved standard business sponsor.

What is required for a new nomination?

Generally speaking, the new employer must advertise the occupation for at least 4 weeks and demonstrate that they can’t find an Australian to fill the role. They will need to give you an employment agreement for the duration of your visa and demonstrate a genuine need for the occupation in the business and the financial capacity to pay your salary.

Once the new visa is granted, your visa will be linked to the new company and you can begin working.